[Dailydrool] fearful bassets

Danielle L dll1013 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 21:02:21 PDT 2009

Hello all,

While I was picking Pheebe up from daycare today.  I was approached by the owners who said that another customer was possibly looking to give their basset up.  Long story short, someone basically dumped this basset on them with the intention of taking it back and then decided they didn't want to.

So I went and met this basset.  And she's beautiful...but aren't they all.  The issue with her is she's very timid/fearful of humans.  I got down and held my hand to let her smell it and she just shook.  It was SO sad.  But I guess my Pheebe and her play very well together.

As I was getting ready to leave, the current owner came in to pick her up.  We met and I was able to ask some other questions.  He said she was fearful with them intially, but has since warmed up to them.  I told him that I had to talk it over with my fiance and would let him know.

My question is what should I know if thinking about taking this girl on.  I spoke with the daycare owner (who is also a trainer) and she said there have been no aggression issues with her.  She'll just shake and ignore the human.  Are there any do's and don'ts of working with a fearful dog?

I think we are going to check more into her and maybe take her on a trial run.  We have been looking for a new friend since we put our Sammy down.  But we had our issues with Sammy (aggression) and want to make sure we don't go down that road again!

Thanks for listening!  Feel free to email me directly with any comments!

Danielle
mom to Pheebe & Sammy (atb)
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/336330
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/651238