[Dailydrool] doggie doors

Tina Zantrofski dzantrofski69 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 17 09:38:54 PDT 2009

After ten years of working from home doing medical transcription, I am
contemplating joining the "working world" and getting a job outside of the
house. Now that my kids are grown and on their own, they don't need me to be
here 24/7 and frankly, its pretty lonely here all day with no one to talk to
but the dogs.  This leads me to my question.. because the dogs have been
used to me being home and ringing their bell when they want to go out during
the course of the day, I was thinking about installing a doggie door so they
don't have to be stuck in the house all day while we are all gone.  The only
access to the backyard from inside that is accessible to the dogs is through
the kitchen.  Right now I have a 6 foot sliding patio door that they go in
and out of.  Obviously I can't talk my husband into taking that out and the
door runs the length of the wall between my kitchen cabinets and the wall to
my bathroom so there is no actual "wall" to install one into.    I'm just
wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with the doggie doors
you install into an existing patio door.  I believe they screw onto the end
of the existing door.  I'm afraid the doors you install in the screen would
tear in a heartbeat with my 80 pound lab charging through it so I'm thinking
of the stationary one that goes on the actual glass slider.  Any
suggestions?

Tina and the crew in MA