[Dailydrool] A Basset Adventure...from a slave's perspective

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 11:11:42 PDT 2009

I laughed out loud at the "topless" story.  Desperate times call for
desperate measures.  Oh, how I wished I was wearing a sweater last
night.  You see, what happened was, DH lost his brain for a moment.
However, a moment was all it took...sigh.

As you know, we are selling the house and when we have showings, we
lure the houndage into the double garage with treats.  There's dog beds
in there and it's a safe spot for them to be whilst someone is
traipsing through "their" house.  They can smell but cannot leap
exuberantly upon them or sneak out the door.  Like most garages, we
have a remote control which opens the door.  In our case, this remote
is located on the driver's visor.  Dadslave KNEW the hounds were in
there; half the time he doesn't even go for the remote until we are
right next to the door.  But NO, last evening he pushed the button as
we were pulling in the driveway.

"What are you doing?" I shrieked. "CLOSE THE DOOR!!!!"  He did but not
before four heads, followed quickly by their bodies came happily
underneath, effectively activating the electric safely eye and raising
the door yet again.  I threw open the passenger side door and
immediately began singing loudly "Who want a ride in the car?"

Dudley, immediately jumped in.  Dozer, turned around considered this,
then stopped where he was.  I shut Dudley in and grabbed Dozer's collar
and hauled him over to the car, lifted his front paws onto the floor in
the back seat and then, hoisted his heavy hiney up as well.  YES!  Two
out of four....right?

But, no, Dadslave had opened the driver's door, hoping to entice either
Daisy or Delilah who were busily sniffing the grass in the front yard
to enter therein.  So, out goes Dud.

I call to Daisy who comes, lets me get close enough for my fingertips
to graze the fur on her back, but then takes off across the neighbors
side yard, Dud in close pursuit.

It's amazing what passes through one's mind in these
circumstances...like why haven't I reinforced the STAY command more
vigorously, and "What was it that one Drooler said worked for her?  Oh,
yes - sit down on the ground and call to them...they think you want to
play with them and will come."  So, I sat my butt down on the dew
saturated grass and cooed "Daisy, Duddy....come here to Mama - let's
play."  Dud came immediately, bupster that he still is.  Daisy, on the
other hand, played a bit harder to get.  Finally, she, too. came close
enough for me to grab hold of her Nightengale collar.  Oh, was I saying
prayers of gratitude to it's manufacturers...

So, I bellow for the Dadslave - CRAIG!!!! No response.  Again.  Still
no response.  Okaaaaaay....that leaves me but one choice; walk bent
over at the waist, one hand on each collar of two, still very excited
to be out of their yard, Basset hounds.  First hurdle...how do I get
up?  Got it, I'll switch both collars to one hand and use the other to
brace myself.  Riiiiiight.  I try this and after two failed attempts
and nearly crushing Dudley in the process, I am up and moving, albeit
slowly.

Deep breath..."Okay, guys...let's go see Daddy."  With this off they
lurch and the next thing I know I am picking myself up off the street,
trying to ignore the scrapes on both knees.

"Easy, guys.  Go easy!"

We are making slow but steady progress across the neighbors lawn when
suddenly one of them stops dead to sniff something and I find myself
facedown on the grass, nursing a "grassburn" below my right eye, right
on the bone of my eyesocket.  Why, you ask, would this happen if one
was wearing glasses?  WAS being the key word - as they were somewhere
underneath my upper body where they fell when they flew off my face.  I
picked them up and briefly surveyed the damage; they are bent, but not
broken...sorta like me.

I think it is beyond time to bellow yet again for the Dadslave.  My
back is killing me, not to mention my knees and my face.  This time I
hear a shouted reply, "I'm coming."

"I really need you and some leashes."

I see the lights of the car as he pulls out of the driveway and next to
the curb where the dogs and I are and tosses me the double leash.
Obviously, the man has a death wish; am I to hook them on with my
toes???  I glare and say "I could use a bit of help here."  He gets the
not-so-subtle message and comes and attaches the leash to Daisy.  One
hand freed, I clip the remaining lead to Dudley.  Tails are
wagging...they obviously think a walk is in their future.  NOT! I limp
the rest of the way across the grass and into the garage.

"Don't open the inside garage door, the other two are in there.  Thank
dawg he said that or the chase would be on, yet again, for at least two
of them.  He pulls the car into the garage, the door comes down, and
Basset air-lock secure, I open the basement door, unclip the leashes
and the thundering herd heads up the stairs, woofing for dinner.

Today, the slightly black eye doesn't look too bad if I apply the
concealer just right.  About the knee I just had scoped...well, it
seems the other one took most of the impact of the fall...I think.

Score  Bassets 4
          Slaves   0

Sandi, Mamaslave to The Belles and The Boys - Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and
Dudley  <--------who thinks the Board Waddle would have been safer