[Dailydrool] Humphrey's First Boardwaddle

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:05:15 PDT 2009

Humphrey started Saturday morning off with a panic. I was making coffee and
heard a really feminine scream from the bedroom, so I ran to see what was
wrong. The scream was from Kit; he'd stepped in something wet and wasn't
sure if it was basset poop or barf. It turned out to be a wad of decorative
string leftover from holiday gift wrapping. I don't know how Humphrey got
ahold of it, but after poking at it a bit, we decided he hadn't ingested the
yarn, just chewed on it for awhile and then spat it out. We decided to
proceed to the Boardwaddle, figuring Humphrey was going to be fine (don't
worry - he was).

We got to Ocean City a little late and missed the start of the waddle, but
caught up with the bassets on the boardwalk. Humphrey met a lot of bassets,
but I didn't get a lot of their names, so I don't know how many Droolers we
met. He really got along well with a red & white 10-month-old buppy named
Oswald and I know we met Sirius - at least, I think it was the board's
Sirius - anyway a black & white basset whose owners were wearing Nigel's
"Cawt in da Riptide of Lub" shirts. I'm also pretty sure he sniffed butts
with Sally (owned by Emily); I remember pointing her out to Kit as being a
serious cutie (Sally, that is...I was too busy looking at the bassets to
notice people!)

Humphrey greatly enjoyed the food - he had about 4 hotdogs (I'm a
vegetarian, so I gave him my hot dogs and then he managed to sneak a few
from Kit, too) and a vanilla custard. He got tons of attention from people
watching the parade and chased a seagull on the beach.

Over at one of the stands was a stack of magazines, and we were very
surprised to see our fellow NYC basset friend, Benjamin, on the cover with
his owner. She first told us about the BoardWaddle but couldn't make it this
year because she runs the Boston Marathon.

I wish we'd been able to come down Friday for the Basset Olympics -
Humphrey's so athletic he would have done well and really enjoyed it - but
we were busy with work Friday and Sunday.

Who were the bassets up at the table outside of the Picnic area entrance?
Kit really fell in love with the black & tan and the red & white boys up
there. And who was the basset dressed up as the sherriff? We marched behind
him for most of the BoardWaddle and couldn't stop laughing at how cute he
looked.

We had a fun time, even though it took forever to get back to NYC because of
a dead car battery and Lincoln Tunnel traffic. Thanks, TriState, for a great
time!

Drool to all in need - Bix the St. Bernard mix especially sends drool to his
fellow-Saint Kirby.

- Rebecca, Kit & Humphrey