[Dailydrool] Leash vs. Harness

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Tue Apr 21 09:00:33 PDT 2009

I understand Becky's reasoning about harnesses encouraging
pulling, but this is what I have learned from Daisy's eye
doctor.  They do see a direct potential link to pulling on a
collar and glaucoma.  When we got our little Daisy, she had
been tied to a chain outside and very neglected.  I know she
must have pulled and pulled trying to get away, as she still
does when she is on a leash.  Shortly after we got her she
lost one eye to glaucoma.  They say that glaucoma can be
hereditary, but when it is, the second eye usually goes
within a year.  Daisy still has her other good eye after 4
years.  Although the eye doc says they cannot determine the
cause of the glaucoma, in this case, it was probably due to
excessive pulling. A harness would have been different. So,
I believe if you cannot train your hound to not pull when on
a leash, it would be best to use a harness.  Ann