[Dailydrool] Leash training

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Apr 21 09:19:12 PDT 2009

I completely agree with Becky about training with a leash and a slip collar.  I have 6, and they all love to walk.  I use a rope leash with a knot tied in it so that it can't loosen up and slip off, but can still hang loose when the dog isn't pulling.  I also think that prong collars used correctly are just fine.  Let us consider the alternatives:
Normal harness and regular flat collars require considerable strength for the human to control and correct the dog.  When the dog jerks, you jerk back.  Now you have just used 50-100 lbs of yank force on your basset's delicate spine and neck.  You have just risked hurting yourself, hurting your dog, and losing control of the situation and potentially being pulled off your feet or dropping the leash.

Slip leash, choke collar, or pronged collar, properly used, at the top of the neck by the base of the skull.  You can use 5-10 lbs of force to accomplish the same thing.  Less damage to you, and more importantly, less damage to your dog's spine which may not show up until later in life.  Your dog is kept at your side by a short leash with just enough tension that it doesn't go slack and slide down the neck, your leash is so short that you can move your hand just a few inches to issue the correction, but with enough slack that your friend can look around and enjoy his walk.  If you are the alpha, you lead, and they follow.  Short lead gives you more control, and gives you more safety from being tripped and dragged.  Watch Cesar Milan's leash technique.  He is the KING of mastering the walk.

Another issue with walking is to be fast enough that your dog is actually getting exercise and not bored out of their mind.  A bored dog is a dog who has time to think of something demonic.  If you can't walk fast, then walk FAR.  If you can't do that, then get help walking your dog.  Befriend and encourage some neighborhood kid to be your walk buddy.  In time that relationship can really pay off in very important ways.  If they are your friend, you won't have TP in your trees on devil's night, and if your dog ever gets loose, you have someone who can help you search.  Not only that, you can teach stewardship to another generation even if they aren't getting it at home.

FYI, I walk 3 bassets at a time like this, with the most slack given to the most obedient of the troop. I have never had a flat basset on a walk.  Love the idea of carrying the chair and waiting him out, but have never had to do that. I do understand that many people use anti-pull harnesses, and that they also reduce the force needed to control the dog, but they are expensive and in many cases unnecessary.  I also know many who use a Halti, but I hate those, and so do most uninitiated dogs.  I have had them slip off of dogs while walking them and just had to resort to using the slip leash method in order to finish the walk. If they work for you, great! I find them difficult to put on and am insecure about them staying on.  A rope leash from the dollar store will always be my first choice.

Condolences to all those who have lost a beloved friend. It is so sad when they leave us, but they are returned to the loving Creator who loaned them to us as a demonstration of His love. My prayers are for your comfort and healing.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!