[Dailydrool] Electric fences, harnesses

erusselburg2 at aol.com erusselburg2 at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 11:27:09 PDT 2009

Hello, I'm just a "lurker" any more (too many dogs - no time to read e-mails!) so this may have already been mentioned.? One of the biggest drawbacks to electric fences is that it does not keep other dogs OUT of your yard.? One of our basset foster homes had her hounds attacked by a neighbor's large dogs who got out of his control.? This resulted in a very frightening and dangerous situation, and a big emergency vet bill.? I'm no fan of electric fences.

Harnesses - that's another story. Love 'em. No, the hounds don't pay attention to "commands" when on a harness. . .but they're nice when you have the luxury of letting them sniff and pull out ahead at leisure.? My hounds can enjoy a leisurely snuffle without dragging me around (you have some control with the harness, after all). My bagel Toby has a collapsing trachea, and has also had disc issues, so he has to use one.? Nice for my beagle pup too. . .no reverse sneezing or gakking.? There are a lot of styles of harnesses and they have to fit properly.? I recommend going into a large pet retailer and trying a few on.

Happy sniffing!

Edy