[Dailydrool] Hounds and Babies

Brenda Cruse brendatyler2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 25 05:02:47 PDT 2009

Almost two years ago we had the same concers.....more about our Tyler than Ru.  Tyler's is a momma's boy is usually attached to my side.  I figured he'd have a problem with his competition for my attention.  I was dead wrong.  These bassets seem to instinctively know that the baby is yours and they need to be careful.
Our situation was a little different than most births.  Emily was in the NICU for 3 months prior to coming home so we had a long time to prepare the dogs.  We started with bringing home sheets and blankets from the hospital that she had slept on and let the dogs play/sleep with them.   The first set of blankets the dogs went bonkers but by the time she came home they were familiar with her scent and had no real problems with her.
Even now that she's walking around and gaining some independance they are fantastic with her and extremely protective of her.  Tyler has to do a smell test everytime she leaves the house and returns to make sure she's ok.  Rufus is very thankful for all of the crumbs that get thrown his way!!
Please make your best effort to keep your dog!  They will not disappoint and may even surprise you.
PS....take a look at my blog, it's devoted to Babies and Basset Hounds.

Brenda Cruse

http://bhbhappiness.blogspot.com/