[Dailydrool] Mortality

Richard Schmeltz richard_schmeltz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 27 14:23:17 PDT 2009

Sure the end will come. It does, eventually, for all creatures. Perhaps, however, not nearly as soon as you fear. Our dear friend and companion Seeger lived to be 18 years old, and we had the joy of sharing the last 16 of those wonderful years. He was healthy and happy right up until the end. We loved him, and he us, unconditionally. No strict diet, no rigorous exercise program, no crate (ever), just comfort, contentment, and love. That, and a few younger 2- and 4-legged critters to get his heart pumping once in a while.

This next repeats something I've posted once or twice before, but it comes to mind every time I have the honor of writing about Seeger's life. He loved life, and loved people, and had the patience of a saint (except, perhaps, when it came to food). I'm not exaggerating when I say that my granddaughter, who's grown up in our home, cut her teeth on Seeger's ears. I think loving his life, and his family, was one of the big reasons he lasted so long, and so well.

God bless you, and Charles. You, and he, will know when the time comes. It may not be for a long time. 'til then, share the joy, and don't count the days. That's all there is to it.

--RichS: husband to Patty, poppa to Bullet the basset, Jester the border terrier, and 7 dear departed ATB