[Dailydrool] Old things with fur

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:21:22 PDT 2009

All of our bassets have lived to be at least 11.  Sherlock died at 11 1/2 of a bad heart and we didn't know there was a problem until the day before.

Our first two girls were littermates and were lost without each other.  Daisy May lived to be 12 1/2.  She was the gentlest soul who ever lived.  She was shy, chunky and never met a stranger she trusted.  She had to warm up first.  She was a wonderful girl.  We got her to keep Sassy company who HATED being an only basset.  Sassy lived to be 13 but was miserable after Daisy died.  We got Sherlock to keep her company and she hated him on sight.  He was a puppy and thought Sass was his new mother.  She didn't see it that way.  One day she crawled up on the couch and went to sleep.  Sherlock climbed up on top of her very gently and went to sleep on top of her, backbone to backbone.  We didn't take a picture.  Too busy trying to keep the boys from spoiling the moment.

When Sassy died, we thought Sherlock was lonely and we found Sunny.  She couldn't stand Sherlock or males for that matter.  There were four two legger males and Sherlock.  There was a lot of grumpiness in that girl.  They said she was about 1 1/2 years old when we got her but I am pretty sure she was older.  Very set in her ways and mature looking.  She was somewhere between 13 and 15 when she died.  Looked every bit of 100 or so.  Like someone had glued her bits together and had done a bad job.

She looked so old and bent up that when we tried to adopt a corgie mix the lady(I use the term loosely) thought we were not good doggie parents and wouldn't let us have the dog.  Sunny was just old, slow, crabby and looked like a teddy bear loved so much the hair was coming off and the stuffing coming out.  She wasn't pretty but she enjoyed being old and crabby.  It was her mission in life.  Sherlock spent 11 years staying out of her way.  She stayed with us for 12 years.  We moved her across country to New York and she was so upset she peed in the van.

When we got there she had to defend her tiny yard from turkeys, coyotes, and all sorts of woodsy things.  She lived through that and came back with us only a little worse for the wear.  Sherlock went too but he never complained.

Our dogs have all been purebreds.  We got them because we love bassets, not for their bloodlines.  They were loved, spoiled, and treated like kids.  They gave that love back 100fold.  They  all stayed until they really had to go.  I miss all of the ones who are gone.  Even old Miss Crabby and I have the scars to show for it.  They will let you know when it is time to say goodbye.  I think Daisy was the hardest because she was so sweet and the first one.  It was Christmas time which made it worse.  We all told her goodbye but it still hurts.  I have always imagined her running through the fields by the vet's with Sassy chasing rabbits and nevery getting tired.

Right now all of ours are fairly young except for Shelby.  She is 13+.  She is short, chubby. slghtly gray, and extremely sweet.  Poor old thing lost her home, then was taken in by a rescue and then came here to relax.  She is so fabulous.  Not a grump or moan.  She loves us like we've always had her.  She is snoring on her donut right now.  She is extraordinary at watching the birds and squirrels.  She loves to stare at the fence or the tree trunks or the leaves or whatever.  Her real love is going to bed with Nic every night.  She loves to sleep and sleep and sleep.  She has earned that right.  I just want her to be comfortable for the rest of her life, however long that may be.

Now that I have written a dissertation on bassets getting old, I should stop.  I could go on.  They are such wonderful companions, even when they are old and crabby.  Sunny, aka, Miss Crabby, was carried up the stairs when she could no longer climb them by our oldest son, Josh.  She slept with him until he moved out.  She never tried to knaw his fingers or hands off. She loved him.

The old ones are special.  I hope Shelby lives a very long time.  She gives so much and asks so little.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  I am also getting old and very crabby.  Ask my children.  I just try to keep my broom hidden.

Have a great night and enjoy those oldsters.

Ninja-I gots the loveseat to myself and I not gonna share.

Marley-I gots to have howling practice cause the Dad had trumpet practice.  I sounds way better dan he.

Maggie-I gots 3/4 ob da couch and I ain't mobin.

Shelby-I gots my own donut and a beddie and a boy and I like dat just fine.

Mom-I have four of the biggest sweeties that have ever lived.

Drool and snooters to all.