[Dailydrool] tramadol

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 18:12:45 PDT 2009

Daisy did not get a urinary tract infection from the Tramadol. The tramadol
is tough on the tummy. Deramaxx is an NSAID and is also tough on the tummy.
She may have gotten the UTI from being unable to empty her bladder because
she cannot stand, but the drugs themselves are not responsible for the
infection, bacteria is.

Ask your Vet about something to coat her esophagus and tummy. Ask about
Sucralfate and see if he thinks it might help. When Mitchell was on all the
drugs for his back he always had sucralfate AND cimetidine on board to avoid
exactly what you are running into.
My experience is also that Tramadol must taste really really incredibly,
unbelievably horribly bitter because it is one of the few drugs that almost
every dog I have ever known has not wanted to take, and that includes my
dogs, and others as well. I had to force it on the victims. Personally, I am
not convinced the benefits outweigh the risks unless the dog is in severe
pain.
At any rate you're right about letting her tummy rest.  Poor sweet Daisy.
Hang in there, both of you. We send comforting drool.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley & Cooper