[Dailydrool] Rabies Vaccine Titer

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 13:56:50 PDT 2009

The bloodwork that is done for transport to other countries or islands in this case is a titer.  This indicates the response the body would have if it was infected with rabies.  The titer has to be over a certain number to be considered acceptable for transport to Hawaii or where ever you are going to take the animal.  If it is not high enough then you need to vaccinate again.  Depending on when the last vaccine was could affect the titer or if there was something else going on that inhibited a proper immune response being mounted at the time of vaccination.  Steroids or other immunosuppressives, such as illness can prevent a proper immune response.  Since Shelby is only three it is possible that she hasn't received enough rabies vaccines to develop enough of a titer.  When my dog came to the Caribbean with me their paperwork indicated that at least three rabies vaccines should have been given.  His titer was in the clear but he was 6 when he was
 transported.  I'm rabies vaccinated as well and intermitantly get my titer checked.  The human vaccine is supposed to be good for like ten years I think.  There are two types of rabies vaccines, a 1 yr and 3 yr.  There are many companies that make rabies vaccines as well.  I don't know if there has been research on the effectiveness of the different companies vaccines though.  It took me 6 months to get all of the paperwork and titers and everything is order to move Flash to the Caribbean.  Good Luck!