[Dailydrool] Rabies Vaccine Titer

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Sun Aug 2 05:00:57 PDT 2009

Laura Said:  There are two types of rabies vaccines, a 1 yr and 3 yr.  There are many companies that make rabies vaccines as well.  I don't know if there has been research on the effectiveness of the different companies vaccines though.

It is my understanding that the 1 year and 3 year rabies vaccine is the same.  The labeling is the same for both.  It is the local / state laws which dictate 1 or 3 year boosters.   And there has been a Rabie Challenge Test going on for awhile now to prove that the vaccine lasts 5 years at a minimum.   Rabies vaccine is very hard on dogs.  Hopefully the Challenge test research will convince all states to go to at least a 3 year cycle.

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com
www.bassethoundclubofwpa.com
http://www.dachshund-wpdc.org/