[Dailydrool] Bassets eating small critters

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 03:33:17 PDT 2009

The one big thing I worry about when the Bassets "capture" something is that
it may be something that one of the neighbors poisoned. A lot of our
neighbors use poisons.I don't know if they put out mole and etc repellents
that are edible or not, but sure don't want to find out the hard way that
some mouse ate warfarin or some mole has eaten "mole-kill" pellets  and was
already on it's way out when the dogs caught it.
I don't intend this as an indictment against neighbors-- people do things
all the time without thinking of the ecoconsequences. Poisoning a mouse
means the owl that eats it is going to ingest some of the same, and/ or the
dog or cat down the street: people add anti-freeze and dribble it on the
driveway and never think that a kitty walking through it and then cleaning
his feet is as good as dead.
Nevermind the birds with West Nile or the mouse with fleas= tapeworms...the
world is fraught with peril for those lower on the food chain (and
sometimes, those of us at the top).

MomPerson to a bunch who eat whatever they can before I catch them.