[Dailydrool] AZ Basset Rescue saves 52 Bassets from one Puppy Mill in Six Months

bassetsdrool at cox.net bassetsdrool at cox.net
Tue Aug 4 22:15:09 PDT 2009

Arizona Basset Hound Rescue

Comes to Rescue of Puppy Mill dogs in Arizona

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 5, 2009

CONTACTS:

KIM BRUCK, 623-225-7437 personal home phone

602-225-7800 AZBHR Voice Mail or

Email:  kim at azbassetrescue.com or bassetsdrool at cox.net

For information on Arizona Basset Hound Rescue (AZBHR) visit
www.azbassetrescue.com <http://www.azbassetrescue.com/>

As you may already know Puppy Mills are a problem in our nation and now it's
even closer to home than you think.  Over the past six months Arizona Basset
Hound Rescue, an expert in dog welfare and puppy mills, has taken in 52
Basset Hounds from a puppy mill in Pinal County.  AZBHR has worked with
Pinal County for over two years trying to close down this breeder and is
very thankful to Pinal County and all their staff for the efforts in getting
the owner to surrender the final group of Bassets as of Monday, August 3rd.

Pinal County was able to get the owner to surrender 29 Bassets back in
February and 22 of those dogs were turned over to AZBHR the balance were
adopted out by Pinal County. The breeder recently was evicted and lost her
home and moved down the road leaving 13 dogs at the property outside. When
the Realtor showed up to survey the property, she found them and called
animal control in Pinal County.  According to animal control the dogs had NO
food and NO water - this was last week, when the temps were in 110's plus.
Once they tracked the breeder down, she claimed that she was feeding and
watering them when she could, but hadn't had a ride in 3 days, so she hadn't
been there.  This week we received the call from Pinal County that they were
able to get her to surrender all remaining Bassets to animal control.  AZBHR
will be taking in 16 of those 21 Bassets.  Some of the remaining Bassets
have parvo and are very sick, in fact a couple have not made it due to any
vet care which is common with these puppy mills.  "It breaks my heart to
know that these dogs that have died from neglect could have been saved if
they would have been taken to a vet for care at the early stages.  The dogs
depend on us humans to be there for them and care for them.."  Kim Bruck,
President, AZBHR.

When a dog is in a puppy mill they are often kept outdoors with little or no
shade, kept in kennels or very small crates, giving the minimum of food and
sometimes it's not even dog food, when the dogs are no longer producing pups
many times they are shot or drowned as were a few Bassets that AZBHR was to
take from a puppy mill in another state.

Why buy from a puppy mill when there are so many dogs and cats that are
euthanized each year?  Check out the stats but Maricopa County is around
30,000 plus.  Spay and neutering your pets is the responsible thing to do.

AZBHR is very active in saving dogs from the life of a puppy mill and have
saved many from other states and in the past year alone over 60 Bassets.
AZBHR requires all our foster homes other pets are spayed and neutered to
promote spay and neuter.

Many of the Bassets have health issues such as valley fever, worms, and
ticks and have never had any medical care so the medical expenses are high.
All the Bassets are receiving medical care, shots and given love by the
volunteer foster homes!  21 of the 22 Bassets taken in back in February are
already adopted and in loving homes.  One that is remaining is Fitzgerald
and he was probably the most traumatized and was deathly scared of humans.
Another major side affect of puppy mill dogs is that they have not been
socialized with humans and are many times abused.  AZBHR has two females,
Natalie and Emily that have been in their foster home in Tucson for 1.5
years and still hide when company comes over.  It takes lots of patience and
love from their foster homes and adopters when severe cases like this occur.
"I've fostered a couple from the puppy mill and saw them grow to love humans
and not mistrust them, that is so rewarding to every foster home and most of
all the Bassets we have saved." Kim Bruck, President

Puppy mills are not our only priority AZBHR works with all the dog welfare
agencies in Arizona including the Arizona Humane Society and has taken in
dogs about to be euthanized for the past 10 years.  AZBHR prides itself on
the volunteers who give countless hours to help save these animals and
seeing them find a forever home to live out their life!

ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:

Arizona Basset Hound Rescue, a non-profit 501 c(3) animal welfare
organization.  Arizona Basset Hound Rescue has saved over 1,200 Basset
Hounds and Bloodhounds since incorporating in September 1999.  Arizona
Basset Hound Rescue is an ALL volunteer organization with no paid staff nor
any physical location.  All the dogs are fostered in private homes by
volunteers throughout Arizona.  In 2008 the veterinary and care for the dogs
was over $100,000.  AZBHR has over 75 dogs in foster care and needs
volunteers to foster, adopt a Basset or donate to help with the medical
expenses of these dogs that never knew the good life and have been bred over
and over.

AZBHR is hosting our Basset Ball 2009 on September 12, 2009 in Scottsdale,
Arizona.  The Basset Ball is our largest fundraiser with over 300 silent,
live auction items and a sit down.  AZBHR celebrates 10 years saving over
1,200 Bassets and will put on a special program at the Basset Ball.  Dress
code is cowboy chic and NOT black tie.  Tickets are $70 and must be
purchased by September 1st.  www.azbassetrescue.com
<http://www.azbassetrescue.com/>  under events page for RSVP and details.
Last year's event raised over $47,000 to help the hounds.

Love that Drool,

Kim A. Bruck, President & Basset Ball Coordinator

Arizona Basset Hound Rescue

Celebrating 10 Years...Many Ears 2009

Spreading Drool One Basset at a Time!

Over 1,200 dogs saved

kim at azbassetrescue.com www.azbassetrescue.com

Basset Ball 2009 - Celebrating 10 Years with Silent, Live Auction and Dinner
in Scottsdale www.azbassetrescue.com

Basset Merchandise:

www.zazzle.com/azbassetrescue*

www.zazzle.com/tomakeadiffference Bassets, Bloodhounds with Cancer Ribbons
to benefit Breast Cancer and AZBHR

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love
yourself." Josh Billings