[Dailydrool] CNN Article on Smartest Dogs

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Mon Aug 10 04:23:33 PDT 2009

Look.. ya'll shouldn't get all bent out about this "smartest this" "dumbest
that" stuff with Dogs...

Remember... one of their supposed tell-tale signs was seeing how long it
would take a dog to uncover itself from a blanket over its head..

now.. I don't know about yours.. but if they're anything like mine.. if
they're at rest, and you cover them, they *stay* at rest.. that's pretty
intelligent to me... the "why bother" principle...

but I tell you... reach for the treat bag, let it go crinkly for just a
split second, and there's not a cover in the world that stays on my boys for
stopping the greetin' of the treatin'.

At times I use the treat bag to get them inside.. its all about the
motivation!

Just like one of them bassets are smarter than's .... "if you think a basset
can't count, try putting four treats in your pocket and then only given 'um
three"

:)

-Robert
(I borrowed the modified counting quote, from the Lovely Lucy)