[Dailydrool] Basset Hound Intelligence

Phil Guinn guinnirish at cox.net
Mon Aug 10 18:14:11 PDT 2009

I have to agree with Dawn (Happy Hound Pet Services) right down the line.

Growing up I had a hound of unknown origin and a beagle.  Two of the absolute smartest dogs I have ever known.  Eight years ago this August 3rd I got Jake.  I had been warned that bassets were different so I was going to teach Jake to conform like other dogs. Well, it took him about 6 months to teach me a thing or two (and he was just a puppy and me an adult) and he has constantly amazed me ever since with his intelligence. He went everywhere with me. I keep a mileage log for tax purposes and I figure he has logged in over 70,000 in his life and I have his front seat built up so he can see out and he doesn't miss a thing.  I would see him looking at something and tell him what it was and repeat it every time we saw it again.

Since then we have adopted one foster failure, Maxx to keep Jake company and Myrtle came along a six months later and adopted us. Since their arrival they go everywhere too.  Jake founded Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue so we do a lot of driving and traveling for the cause and Maxx and Myrtle are just as intelligent. Actually Myrtle is top of the class. She absolutely amazes me with the things she gets around to showing me she knows and understands.  All three have a vocabulary that is hard to believe even for me.

Now if you want them to do tricks forget it. The smarter the more stubborn.  Like Dawn said we have never had a fight or even growl argument here. If one wants something he/she will just distract the other two and get what they want. Everything from a toy, bone or their place next to daddy.  They amaze me but most people just watching them would think them dumb. I think that is sad but I have also discovered we aren't going to change the world's opinion over night.

In our dealing with intakes, some 400 over time, they are just like people, some are just smarter than others and I have seen basset hounds dumber than a box of rocks but they were still totally loveable and cute.

Phil, Jake, Maxx & Myrtle
We have learned him everything's he knows