[Dailydrool] debarking

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 10:24:13 PDT 2009

My dogs are not debarked but I have threatened. We did a lot of it where I
worked because we had a lot of  * and *s  (I am leaving the breeds out so
that this is not misunderstood as a slam against those breeds or their
owners) breeders and many of them debarked their dogs (at least they did)
quite often. These 2 breeds in particular tend to have a kind of shrill,
whiney bark that is very piercing, and they bark a lot. If you have 10 of
them and are showing and breeding, your neighbors are apt to get a little
ornery.
So people know, it does not involve cutting into the throat from the
outside.
Debarking is done much like a tonsillectomy, and a little wedge is cut from
the vocal cords.It takes about ten minutes if the Vet knows what he is
doing.

I am very ambivalent about debarking. If it is a choice of doing it or
getting rid of the dog....well...
I do not think debarked dogs suffer mental anguish because they cannot bark
loudly. I don't think they know they aren't normal. It is like neutering.
Dogs do not actually "know" they have been neutered. They did not understand
the consequences nor were they looking forward to puberty (except maybe
Conley) so they can breed.
This is just my personal opinion. Feel free to attack.

MomPerson to Nigel (I bark I bark a lot) Llewis (No I bark more!) Conley
(yarrryarrryarrryarrr) & Cooper (SHUT UP