[Dailydrool] Bassets and milk products

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Sat Aug 22 05:01:49 PDT 2009

This thread brought back memories of Duchess.  I love it when I read  posts
and something reminds me of her, and it's just like she's back here again
and I'm smiling at her sweet, stubborn goofiness.

Anyway, Duchess was wrongly named.  She should have been
"Basset-With-Stomach-of-Goat."  She could eat ANYTHING.  At any  time.  No problems.  Whoosh,
gulp, gone, more please.

She adored ice cream.  I (who always spoiled her with people food) had  no
idea back then (duh, foodslave) that any foods we ate could be bad for dogs
(hence her addiction to Oreos and M&Ms; yet she still made it to 16
glorious  years).

I was the editor of our town newspaper, and one hot summer day we staff
members had an ice cream taste test ffor an article comparing all the ice
cream  stores in town.  (I loved being editor, I could come up with all these
delicious ideas.  There was also the pasta taste test ... the diner
breakfast taste test ... )

So, after it was all over, the leftover ice cream was melting in the office
 and so, of course, it all went to Duchess.  You know those quart
containers  that are round and tall?  On the front page of the paper we had a great
picture of her with that big old basset nose completely buried in it, you
could  only see the top of her head.  Needless to say, there were no leftovers
 left over by the time we went home that night.  And I had a very contented
 basset with a happily balloon-shaped tummy and ears covered with Rocky
Road.

Sigh.  I love the memories.  Thanks for bringing these  back.

Beth (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)