[Dailydrool] Shelter Fees

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Mon Aug 24 16:22:42 PDT 2009

Utah Friends of Basset Hounds covers Utah and southern Idaho, and we do
not pay any shelter fees. Some of the shelters give very basic vaccinations
and others do nothing. They seem thrilled to have us take the bassets to make room for some of the other dogs. (And to save their lives--we have some great shelters here).  We don't really have heartworm ( a HUGE blessing) but we test for it and put them on heartworm prevention immediately.  We did pull 5 bassets from shelters this past year with Parvo--three made it and two didn't- and that was a huge budget buster for us. We have a lot with kennel cough and other shelter ailments. At the
risk of sounding morbid, it probably costs a shelter as much to euthanize
the dog and dispose of it as the fees are. The whole idea is saving the dogs
and if the shelter can't waive the fee for rescue groups-- well, just say I am
happy we are in Utah.
--
Marilyn Briggs