[Dailydrool] Dog Gone Pain - FlexPet

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 28 10:06:37 PDT 2009

The below was taken directly from Pfizer's Rimadyl web site - and the side
effects occur a lot more frequently than Pfizer admits.  A lot of dogs have
died from allergic reactions to Rimadyl or from liver or kidney failure
caused by Rimadyl.  Most people prefer to use it as a last choice, not a
first choice.  It's like any prescription drug, for people or for animals,
there are always tradeoffs, and the side effects can be very serious.

What are the possible side effects that may occur in my dog during Rimadyl
therapy?
Rimadyl, like other drugs, may cause some side effects. Serious but rare
side effects have been reported in dogs taking NSAIDs, including Rimadyl.
Serious side effects can occur with or without warning, and in rare
situations result in death.

The most common NSAID-related side effects generally involve the stomach
(such as bleeding ulcers), and liver or kidney problems. Look for the
following side effects that can indicate your dog may be having a problem
with Rimadyl or may have another medical problem:

*	Decrease or increase in appetite
*	Vomiting
*	Change in bowel movements (such as diarrhea, or black, tarry or
bloody stools)
*	Change in behavior (such as decreased or increased activity level,
incoordination, seizure or aggression)
*	Yellowing of gums, skin, or whites of the eyes (jaundice)
*	Change in drinking habits (frequency, amount consumed)
*	Change in urination habits (frequency, color, or smell)
*	Change in skin (redness, scabs, or scratching)

It is important to stop therapy and contact your veterinarian immediately if
you think your dog has a medical problem or side effect from Rimadyl
therapy. If you have additional questions about possible side effects, talk
to your veterinarian.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net

  _____