[Dailydrool] New basset's aggression to existing basset

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Aug 29 06:59:11 PDT 2009

I'd written a lovely response to this issue that someone brought up (she
says humbly), but it seems that my computer problems, which I thought were
resolved, kept it from being sent. I hope I'm not reposting the same ideas,
but here goes!

Having two bassets going at it can sound very intimidating. You might say
that's what it's supposed to be. A basset setting up pack order means to
sound scary to get the other to knuckle under. But rarely will this kind of
situation cause physical harm. We've brought three dogs into an existing
pack and have fostered a bunch more, and maybe once we've had an ear get
nicked or some other accidental physical harm. Setting up pack order is a
game the bassets play to see who is the toughest, not a real attempt at
murder. To humans, it can seem more serious, but if it is really pack
ordering, it's pretty much only noise. I wonder if the "aggressive" dog in
this case is merely making a huge noise, not harming the original dog of the
house. That's the way a normal pack ordering would work.

Usually, when a new dog comes in our house, I expect them to do what I call
"jousting" for a couple of weeks. In this time there will be a lot of
barking, humping, and refusals to allow the nonalpha dog to have toys, the
best spot on the couch, or anything else good, sometimes including human
attention. After pack order is firmly settled, there may still be occasional
brief bouts when the lower dog tries to take something the alpha considers
hers (and yes, the alpha is often the female, in basset packs). Our Jane and
Belvedere still have such "discussions" at odd moments when Jane is cranky
or feeling threatened, I guess. But the occasional disagreement is just part
of having a multiple-hound pack and not much to worry about.

The only thing I know of that can interrupt the settling of the pack order
is human interference. Pack order is set up by rules only the dogs know. It
makes no sense at all to humans. So the best thing is to let them work it
out, and it's unlikely anyone will get harmed. As long as no one is in
imminent danger of physical harm, you have to let it take its course.
Seriously break this rule of nonintervention, and the jousting may go on
much longer.

If real harm seems about to happen to a hound, the best way to interrupt is
to use a spray bottle filled with water or take a jacket and place it
between the two contestants until they break eye contact and calm down a
bit. Do not get yourself in between the hounds, or you will get hurt. Very
rarely have I had to break things up, and no one has been seriously hurt.

If things continue to escalate, if real harm, not an accidental tooth slash,
is imminent, I would recommend calling in a behaviorist. This kind of
aggression is something entirely different. It can be an attempt to
eradicate the other dog. But from the little that was posted here, it
doesn't sound as if that's what's going on. I really think there is more
hope than you think. Don't give up yet.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets: Lady Jane, Belvedere,
Alexis Thefairyprincess (ATB) & Abner Ahrooo