[Dailydrool] Basil

Melissa Volger volger at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 6 09:45:53 PST 2009

It is with a heavy heart that I write to tell you that my beloved Basil passed away yesterday.  The emergency vet discovered lesions all around his spinal area and they believe it started in his kidneys.  He hadn't been feeling well for a few weeks and we had tried several medications from our vet but nothing seemed to help.  His blood work and urine tests looked good and they thought that it was neck and hip pain initially.  We were told yesterday that they probably couldn't do radation at this point and no matter what, he would never have the use of his legs.  He was my first Basset and completely changed my life.  I am still in shock and feel such an overwhelming grief that I can hardly function.  My husband Brian is also heartbroken.

We got Lucy, our female Basset, as a companion for him and they have been inseparable for 7 years now.  She knows that something is wrong and is acting very depressed.  At this early stage in our grieving, we are not sure what to do.  Is it best to give this some time and then decide whether to adopt a companion for her?  Should it be another Basset?  We want her to live a happy life and not completely fall apart without her mate.  Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

We signed up for the short list this year and I have a beautiful stack of cards waiting to be picked up.  I still going to mail them (as painful as it will be) in honor of my baby boy.  We will miss him dearly.

Melissa
Slave to Lucy and Basil ATB