[Dailydrool] Heartworm

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 15 19:20:02 PST 2009

My Charles celebrates his Gotcha Day on Dec 24 - with us for 13 years so we are figuring he is turning 15 - maybe 16 and maybe 14!

He came to us heartworm -positive.  His treatment was brutal - he walked into the vet and had to be carried out - was desperately ill for a month.  When he got his second injection we treated him with prednisone and anti-nausals to counteract the terrible side effects he had.  Reading the drug precautions - this poor boy had every sideeffect known to mankind!  I understand the treatment is much easier nowadays but in my mind JUST SAY YES TO DRUGS.  Both prednisone and antinausals helped tremendously with his 2nd half of treatment.  I sweat bullets when he had his heartworm test the next year but he has been negative every since and you had better believe we have never missed a dose of heartguard or sentinnel!

Our vet came over for a cup of Christmas Cheer tonight and watched my 5 in their own environment - how different from when they visit her!  She brought her Italian Greyhound and Sheltie and they were quite charming.  The only misbehaving one was Rudy the Dachshund, but we named him RUD-Y for a reason - he is rude!

Happy Holidays to everyone.  We are enjoying our cards so much.  Last year over 100 of you sent to my husband who was a Hero serving in Afghanistan.  Well - he is back there now for a short time and it is helping me cope to get your cards every day and know he got them overseas last year!  While I can't call myself a hero deserving of these cards I can call all of you heroes for sending them!  He should be home for Christmas and he will see all of your greetings hanging in the kitchen!

xoxo and snooters from Orlando!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU , BASSETKU and the brand new RESKU!

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me