[Dailydrool] Elmo was atttacked

Barbara Stacey barbara.stacey at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 2 06:39:12 PST 2009

Elmo was attacked last week while on a walk.Due to health concerns I am not able to give Elmo and Blosom the exercise they need so I have a dog walker, a very nice neighbor lady.They visit with other people walking in the a.m. She often stops to talk to D who walks his black lab. Last week as they were visiting the lab suddenly attacked Elmo. Both dogs were on leash. At the time the only wound she noticed was a small cut on is face. A trip to the vet for wound cleaning and antibiotic injection and Elmo seemed fine.

Several days later my daughter noticed some matted hair (he is a tri) in the black hair on his right side almost as far down as his tummy. We thought maybe it was a ruptured cyst and since it was Thanksgiving just waited a couple of days.On Saturday he could hardly walk.He wasn't limping just moving very slowly. Regular vet is closed Saturday and since I don't like the emergency vets in our area I took him to a clinic nearby that was open Saturday. I had heard good things about this animal clinic.Very young vet checked him out.He had a fever, and the wound on his side was infected and had started to abcess.She saw two distinct puncture wounds so it was caused by the attack.

She cleaned the wound and put him on Clindamycin.He seems better but is still kind of puny.My dog walker said this is a mean lab and has bitten her neighbor.We have this man's address and DH is ready to go over and take him the vet bills.If anyone has any advice on how to approach this man it would be appreciated.DH is not sure how to go about this (be nice, or get mad, etc.)

I can't imagine why anyone would attack my sweet Elmo. He is a cute little guy and wouldn't even know how to fight back.He would never hurt anybody.

Thanks so much.This group (family) is just great.

Barbara
Sam ATB, MacATB, Blossom & Elmo