[Dailydrool] Our Happy GOTCHA day!

Laurie Zak ljza68tig at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 2 12:55:10 PST 2009

We are officially outnumbered!

Thanks to everyone for their wishes of safe journey & blessings in our trip to the Washington Basset Rescue in Spokane to adopt yesterday...we are thrilled to report that we are now the proud foodslaves to not only our sweet old boy Max (9 and a half) but now also to his new little sisters: Annabelle & Dottie! It was just so amazing that within about 10 minutes of arriving & meeting the 13 available houndies at the rescue, the four of us (me, Jeff, Max & rescue director Pat) had all chosen/decided (to ourselves) on the same 2 dogs to be the best ones to come home with us! Our trip there & back was fun, as we marvelled at the huge changes in scenery & climate (mountains,snow, icy water, brown hills, tumbleweeds, desert like scrub, farming fields, lava rock cliffs, bright full moon, etc., and other than a bout of carsickness from Annabelle, the hounds all slept for the entire drive back home (about 4 hours!) while we spent the time coming up with ideas for their new names!

Little Annabelle is about 1 and a half yrs old,(though she acts & looks younger), is tri-colored, with a very long (and too skinny right now) body. She was a breeder rescue from the Midwest,has been in & out of other shelters and has already had 2 litters in her young life. Right now, she is sort of restless & less outwardly affectionate, a major counter cruiser, jumps on & off furniture like a bunny, and needs some outside potty training, but she does like to be held & stroked, is so curious, loves to play with toys, is very agile, has the softest coat, and such a beautiful perfectly basset face! We fear that she is searching for her puppies, as she seems constantly confused, and uncertain, and wanders from room to room. We doubt she has ever been in a real home situation, and has no idea what much of anything around here even is. But we hope that showered with love, attention and training, as well as watching her big sister & brother, she will soon calm down and understand she is safe and loved here with us.

Dottie is around 2 yrs old, also a former breeding dog from the midwest. She is tan & white, with, you guessd it, a generous splattering of the typical Basset "dots" all over her legs and one right smack in the middle of her white forehead! She is so sweet and affectionate, such a cuddler & kisser, loves to rough & tumble play with Max, knows how to cue us to go outside, is very well mannered, falls over for a belly rub at the drop of a hat and is already settling in like she has lived here all her life! We even see many of the same funny, endearing characterists of our Masami (atb) in her and that is so wonderful for us to enjoy again!

Max had a blast at the Rescue, playing for almost 2 hours with everyone! He is especially "interested" in Dottie, in a more, uh, manly way...which he RARELY did with Masami...so we think he is just overjoyed that we got him two pretty girls to frolic with! (We call them his "harem"!) They all slept in our bedroom last night, not together on the baby crib mattress we have for that purpose, but all three in different corners of the room! (protecting us, perhaps?) and the slept soundly from around 10 pm until awaking at 6 am to go potty. (we were so exhausted from the 11 hour total drive that we went to bed early, just a few hours after we returned home with them).

So far, today has been spent playing, snuggling, exploring, going outside about every half hour (or whenever someone has an accident!) and saying/hearing the words "no no" & "down", along with "you are so cute!" & "mommy/daddy loves you!" about a million and two times each! We are lucky that we are both home all day, for a few more days at least, before Jeff starts his new job next week. I work from home so will be able to always be here with them, which will be wonderful (and certainly keep me busy!) It is somewhat like a 3 ring circus here right now, but I know that will calm down eventually as the girls get more comfortable, trained and settled in their new forever home. It just breaks our hearts to imagine what these sweet young girls have already gone through in such a short time, and we are happily taking the task and responsibility of being the humans who show them how a dogs life should REALLY be with great seriousness and honor. These girls deserve all the love and attention we are ready to give them, and we look forward to watching them blossom and come into their full Basset selves, growing in the sunshine of our & each others love!

Thanks again for all the blessings of drool...we are indeed a very happy family already!

Houndie hugs to all!

PS-hopefully, if i can spare some time within the next day or so, Annabelle & Dottie will join Max on Dogster, and i am on Facebook (Laurie Zak) where i will be posting photos & their own photo album soon too, in case anyone wants to "friend" me to see/know more about them & how they are doing!

proud new mommy & spoiler  Laurie

daddy & trick-teacher Jeff

Max (thanks for the cute new toys, mommy & daddy!)

Dottie (our little sugar pie snuggler!)

Annabelle (little miss-chevious!)

and Masami (atb) our forever so pretty, so loved, so missed Princess smiling down from doggie heaven (and whispering naughty "no no" things to her new little sisters!)