[Dailydrool] Cassie Update

Annette Mucci canine.inspirations at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 05:44:47 PST 2009

Hi guys, Sorry I went AWOL these past 5 days. I've been thinking about you all but had my hands full since last Thursday with Cassie.

Long story short - She started bleeding again last Thursday evening. We decided that night to call vet and schedule exploratory surgery. We had nothing to lose at that point. Her surgery was Monday. She made it through.

I spent the weekend sleeping next to her on the floor and not leaving her side for a minute. She regained all her strength back by Sunday and Monday and I felt good going to the vet's office on Monday. Only to get there and basically be told to say good bye to my Cass and wait for the call for permission to euthanize. We were totally devastated. I haven't cried that hard in years. I still had to go to work too.

12:45 pm, I get a call and they tell me they are stitching her up. The mass wasn't attached to anything. All her organs look great. Nothing else growing inside of her. Are you frekkin kidding me? I was in shock. They drained a pint of blood out of her belly and the mass was the size of our vet's fist. I think they were amazed as much as we were. The mass has been disected and sent for biopsy, so now we wait to see if it is cancerous or not.

These last 48 hours or so were critical as they let me take her home on Monday night because they are not a 24 hr clinic and were worried about her not getting her heart meds.  She did great and got a good re-check.  I should know within 4 or 5 days about the mass.

Anyway, if I haven't responded to anyone's email and haven't been posting, I wanted to apologize and know that I've been thinking of everyone and thank you all for all your support and prayers. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, but I still have my girl, she feels great and the full tongue face licks never felt so good.

Love and drool to all...
Annette, Maya, Cassie, Schroeder and Sophie