[Dailydrool] Otis's eyes

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 11:06:34 PST 2009

This is so tragic.  Glaucoma is plaguing our breed right now.

Even when testing responsibly bred dogs in advance of mating, there is only so much that can be determined through the testing that is available.  It appears now that it is a recessive gene and may be hidden in dogs who are carriers until two dogs that are perfectly healthy are bred and produce a glaucoma dog.

Two of the things you must question of a breeder is have they done gonioscopies on both parents and if so, what was the percentage of open angles on each dog.  I personally would not breed a dog with less than 75%.   Even with this information, the pedigrees still must be studied and the best mating found to steer away from the potential of glaucoma, so another question is to find out how long ago in the pedigree glaucoma surfaced and from which dog.  The producing dog is probably a carrier as well, which means any get are 50/50 odds, then grand get are 25/75, and so on.   There is actually a formula we use that is based on the research of Padgett and responsible breeders like Claudia Orlandi can explain the process.  You also have to look at dogs not in the actual pedigree, like brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc, so it is very detailed.

Then once you acquire a dog, go to an opthalmologist and have a gonioscope done.  Ask them to give you an idea of the percentage of open angles, even if they tell you it isn't important.  It has some validity.  The problem with the gonioscope is that it only tells you how open the "caves appear to be from the entrance", it can't measure how deep the caves go.  To do that, you would need a high resolution ultrasound which appears to only be made available at one or two universities in the country where it is set up to look at the drainage angles.  And this again, is simply the measurement of the probablility of glaucoma.

The drugs that are used to treat glaucoma in humans is not as effective in dogs, sadly, but knowing in advance is key.  Once the glaucoma effects the eye, it is very late in the game, so have your dog checked out for pressure and also with the gonioscope at a veterinary opthalmologist.

Of course the other problem is that glaucoma can also be non-heriditary, they can run into a post or a door or have another eye problem that brings it about.

The good news, which isn't great news, but very good news for the dogs that suffer with glaucoma is that they can lead excellent and fulfilling lives without sight.  Slap a pair of dark glasses on them, have glass eyes made, or just leave them au natural.  They learn very quickly to get around with hearing and scent.  Second dogs in the family will often step up to the plate and act as seeing eye dogs for the blind dog.  The most important thing you can do is to love them and continue to care for them regardless of any and all difficulties.

There is also a research fund that you can donate to continue the research into this devestating problem.   The hope is that they will find an associated gene and in a few years we can use that to test the breeding population and rid ourselves of the genetic component.  I frequently donate when someone I know has a dog that passes away as a gift in their memory.  It is the AKC Canine Health Foundation http://www.akcchf.org/  and you can stipulate that your gift goes for glaucoma genetic research.

Best wishes, and hopefully one day there will be a lasting solution*

Sara Watson
Bluefence Bassets