[Dailydrool] N. California kennel surrenders 50 bassets for Christmas - Please Help

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 18:55:33 PST 2009

The Dog House Gang and I are on a begging mission tonight.
I know that there are so many rescues in need right now but
Golden Gate Basset Rescue is soon to be faced with taking in
approximately 50 basset hounds from a breeder relinquish.
These babies will start coming into the rescue within the week.

I am trying to remain somewhat diplomatic in my posting about this breeder
but it is very difficult for me.  This is the same place that my dear
sweet senior Nelly Belle came from in October 2008.  I was told
that she was 7 but in truth the vet thinks she is at least 10 now.
Nelly Belle was a mess the day I picked her up with horribly infected
gums, rotten teeth, ears infected and packed full of debris, undernourished
and with a UTI to boot.   On top of that my sweet little gal stunk so bad
that we rode the 80+ miles with the windows down and me gagging all the
way home.  I can honestly say that I am not unhappy to see this operation
closing down.

So if you can spare any bone money, extra change or even more I can
tell you that Nelly Belle and I will be forever in your debt.  This is one of
those times that I wish I could win the lottery so that each and every one
of these babies could be restored to health and learn what real love is.
My hope is to see every single one of these 50 or so bassets
blossom as my Nelly Belle has.

Please visit GGBR's First Giving Page and donate
to this worthy cause.
http://www.firstgiving.com/ggbrfiftyhoundsappeal

 No amount is too small.  If we all pull together then I know
we can make a difference in the lives of these long eared, sad eyed
beauties.  If you are able to sponsor or foster one of these bassets please
contact GGBR.  There web addy is:  http://www.ggbassetrescue.org/

Please help if you can.  We are sending drool to all that are in need.
Today we know that there are 50 more that are in need as well.

Karen and The Dog House Gang

P.S.
Once again I am going to share Nelly Belle's poem that I wrote for
her not long after she joined our happy family.

A Poem for Nelly - My Beautiful Senior Gal

I perused the ads for reasons unknown,
When I came upon a senior in need of a home.
Back and forth I went fighting reason with heart,
Another hound, a senior, now is that smart?

Reason be still, my heart it did shout.
You were led to this girl, of that there's no doubt.
My home is enough for one more to share,
Time for this gal to know that I care.

So dirty and lonely she had nothing to lose,
In the name of money, her little body abused.
I looked her eyes, saw the depth of despair,
Of  living a life with no love and no care.

I opened my heart, felt it fill with love.
I knew that my Nelly was sent from above.
Though she may older and a little bit gray,
Our love for each other grows with each passing day.

Open your heart, your home and please care,
Your Nelly is waiting somewhere out there.
Its a choice you can make, one you'll never regret.
A love that's so deep, A love you'll never forget.

Karen and The Dog House