[Dailydrool] Della and You

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 11:26:52 PST 2009

Heidi-
It is almost like getting a new dog sometimes when the other one passes.  When Flash was the younger of the two dogs we had a Lab mix who had Cushing's, anxiety, arthritis, etc.  Jake was the one who seemed to get alot of attention because we had his meds separated out in a pill box and would get brushed during thunderstorms and helped out of his bed and outside to pee.  Flash was the "young whipper snapper" then.  He would just skirt around Jake as not to knock him down walk around the yard, sleep through thunderstorms and generally be the quite one.  When Jake passed he mourned for at most 2 weeks.  His food consumption dropped and he slept more.  But then he really came into his own.

For the first time in his life (previously had been in a home with a dachsund) he was an only dog.  That was the first time he ever out and out misbehaved too.  Before it was like he knew that Jake wasn't well for a few years and needed our attention.  But all of a sudden he was barking!?  He had barked maybe twice for the first four years we had him.  He learned how to play by himself and really enjoyed being the only dog.  A year later when Ryu the 5 week old mom-less pup showed up he was less than happy.  But now he really likes having someone to play with... er... at least I think he does!

But Flash's new behavior (both good and bad) brought us closer and let his personality really shine.  This in turned help my mourning heart.
I hope this will do the same for you.
Laura, Flash and Ryu