[Dailydrool] revenge peeeing

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 17:28:37 PST 2009

Research has shown that dogs do not have the mental capability to seek revenge or performs behaviors based on past feelings of anger or resentment.  They may feel anger and resentment, but they do not behave based on those feelings.  They behave based on sequences of "if this works for me just once, then I will always try it again because it might work again".

They have is a clear linear thought process that will stay with them a lifetime.  In other words, if when you get up, you put your shoes on, then you normally take me for a walk, they will learn that when they see your shoes go on in the morning, they will expect a walk.  They also know if then you shower and put on certain shoes, you are leaving for work, or going to agility class.  They may also get excited when you make the left turn you always make down the road to the pet store.  And if you give this dog away for 10 years and it comes back to you, it will still expect the walk in the am when you get your shoes on and get excited when you turn that corner.

For training, this is great because whatever place you get to in training young dogs, they remember that and can pick up from that same spot down the road.

In the case of housebreaking issues, usually what goes on is that dog pees in house, human yells at dog and throws dog outside, dog learns to only pee in house when the human is not around because it is comfortable and easy to pee in the house, heck the human does it all the time, so it is best to do it secretly so they won't yell at me. Then the human comes back and finds it, but the dog now is thinking, why does the human come back, see my urine and yell at me or push my nose into it?  They do not tie the two events together.

But what they will quickly tie together is that if everytime I go out to the corner of the yard and pee, my human gives me a treat, so I will hold my urine and go to the corner of the yard more and pee more quickly so I can get more treats.

If the thought process is an If, Then sequence, your dog can learn it.  If there is anything between the if and the then, then they will not understand or get it.

Best*

Sara Watson, CTC
APDT Member
Bluefence Bassets