[Dailydrool] Adopters without fenced yards

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 09:13:31 PST 2009

I was heartened by Chris' post about occasionally letting dogs by adopted by folks without fenced yards. I have had at least one dog as part of my family for the past 42 years, more or less (there was a brief period of a cat only). The past 25 years, my husband and I have had fenced yards, whether in rentals or owned homes. But before that, I was a single woman, sometimes employed, sometimes in a graduate school program which required me to move around the country. I lived in apartments and had no fenced yard. But I was a great dog mother to my scottie, whom I always walked on leashes three times a day, hiring a dogwalker if I could not make it for the afternoon walk. The dog went everywhere with me that was possible--slept in my office or under the speaker podium when I was teaching one year. I always searched out dog-friendly rentals, taking my dog with me to preview rentals and meet the landlords. The scottie was a puppy mill rescue. So I applaud
 rescue organiuzations that look on a case by case basis and aren't absolutely firm on the fence issue. I also applaud landlords who rent to people with pets.