[Dailydrool] invisible fence-our experience

Shirley Grange squirrel at maine.rr.com
Sun Dec 27 16:57:05 PST 2009

We've had an invisible fence enclosing about 2 1/2 acres for many
years, even before we had bassets, we had a lab.
It worked like a dream and gave the dogs all kinds of room to run and
chase.  Two of our total of 4 bassets became
'territorial' and barked like crazy at passers by, just as if it was
a real visible fence.  Kind of annoying for us and the
passers by.   We would never leave the dogs out if we were not at
home and being kind of watchful.  So in so many
years we had no problems except barking.   Just last year, our Roscoe
started dashing through the fence and scaring
runners, walkers and such as he would kind of dash at them or their
dogs.  So, after trying all kinds of tricks and
training, we finally fenced in a nice area around the house for
them.  We still let them out in the bigger space when we are out and
around, but it gives us great peace of mind to be able to just let
them out into the fenced area and let them be.
So, my final opinion is that invisible fencing works well for most
dogs, unless they decide they're going through, no matter
what.  But you should be home and watchful when they are outside.  I
don't think it's a good reason not to let a person
adopt a rescue dog. As we know, all the dogs have their different
idiosyncracies.
-Shirley, George from Maine
plus Roscoe and Zinnia