[Dailydrool] nose ability

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 15:50:34 PST 2009

I think scenting ability does not depend on the sex of the dog, altho if I
had to put money on one sex or the other it would be on the males. Simply
because males use their noses to tell them when and where a bitch is in
season, and the testosterone levels of the dogs who have peed on the trees
and bushes. So for innate, untrained ability I think on the whole (oh, hedge
your bets, Beverly) males probably have the better basic scenting ability.
HOWEVER
I watched a little bitch belonging to Marge Cook work a TDX track that was
absolutely fantastic-- designed for a Belgian National Specialty and passed
by not a single Belgian. This little girl was beautiful. I'm sorry I wish I
could remember her name.
I think training is the key. The dogs all have the ability, but teaching
them how to utilize it is what makes the difference.
The scenting is hardwired into the dog, but because it is there doesn't mean
the dog is interested in using it beyond doggie basics.

MomPerson, who has to get Nigel out tracking again. (not today.)