[Dailydrool] Ups and downs (long)

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 17:58:16 PST 2009

Today was quite a day....

It is The Big Kahuna'a 2nd Birthday today!!!! Wasn't much of a birthday, but we will make up for that in the next day or so.

Over the last week, Baja the Saint has been showing increasing signs of aggression. He started going for Zuma, repeatedly - 4 times in 3 days. I kept them separated but it was getting tough. Last night, Baja went for Bud. With the seizures that started 6 months ago, and the personality changes, it was determined that he most likely had a brain tumor, so early this morning, I helped Baja to the Rainbow Bridge. He would have been 6 years old in March...this is my 3rd dog to the Bridge in less than 5 months, sigh.

That was immediately followed by a 2 hr trek north to retrieve 2 four month old St. Bernard puppies from a nutty "foster" home. The woman was acting bizarre and refusing to return the puppies for over a week, making crazy accusations against the rescue, and calling the Dept of Agriculture, etc, with these accusations. So I was asked to get the pups in person. Fortunately she didn't make a fuss when I got there, though I was armed with the local police phone number and ready to report stolen puppies if needed. I brought the babies home - Kahuna went along for the ride. He loves Buppies, and it was his birthday after all...- and took them to the vet for the once over, which proved all the crazy lady's claims false. I then drove down and turned the babies over to the president of the New England Saint Rescue. She then hugged me, thanked me, expressed condolences for Baja - she was in on the decision process to send him to the Bridge - and she informed me that I was being appointed to
the Board of Directors of the Saint Rescue, if I was willing. So, in spite of currently being Saintless, I am now on the Saint Rescue BOD.

Kahuna will get a party tomorrow. I'll make a nice cake and get him a steak for dinner so the pups can have a party. Time was tight with all the driving, and I just couldn't have a party today, after sending Baja on his way. Tomorrow will be fine. Logically, everything is working out, and it was good to not worry about Baja with the babies here for the afternoon, but I think my heart is starting to catch up to what is going on and I need a hot bath to process the events of the day. I'm happy to have saved the pups, and excited that Kahuna was able to celebrate his birthday as a Champion, but devastated that Baja became ill, putting everyone at risk including injuring Bud last night (who is doing a thousand times better now). I'm proud that in spite of it all, Judy thought well enough of me to appoint me to the BOD and hope I can continue to help with Saints and Houndies who need rescue and safe homes.

I really want to drown myself in a vat of chocolate right now, but will settle for that hot bath, with a candle lit for Baja's safe passage. He is now with his beloved Hannah, my Saint who passed two years ago.

We are sending drool for all the others who need it and feel for others who have lost furbabies to the Bridge. It's awful.

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Kahuna (I'm 2 year old!!!), Zuma, Pearl
Ace the Newf
Maya the Great Dane