[Dailydrool] Canidae - class action filed

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 11:50:19 PST 2009

" Class Action filed against the makers of Canidae Dog Food
Admin |  January 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Madison, Wisconsin, January 26, 2009 – A  class action lawsuit has been filed
on behalf of dog owners nationwide  against the makers of CANIDAE brand dog
food, seeking payment of veterinarian  bills for dogs who allegedly took ill
after consuming the food between last  summer and the present. The lawsuit
also asks the Court to order the  defendants, Canidae Corporation and Diamond
Pet Foods, to launch a corrective  informational campaign. Affected dogs have
experienced rectal bleeding, loose  and bloody stools, lethargy, and death,
according to consumer complaints  posted on internet forums and websites.

“We can’t push back the clock: if  hundreds or thousands of dogs have
suffered, that can’t be reversed. But the  lawsuit at least gives dogs and
their owners an avenue for redress,” stated  Ilan Chorowsky, one of the
plaintiff’s lawyers with the Progressive Law  Group, which has offices in
Madison, Wisconsin and Chicago, Illinois. The  Animal Law Center, Rosner &
Mansfield LLP, and Doyle Lowther LLP also  represent the plaintiff.

Further information about the lawsuit is  available  at
www.dogfoodclassaction.com..."

--------------------------------------

FOLLOWUP  is below in which Canidae takes no blame whatsoever.

"... We apologize to  all who have voiced their concerns with our new
formulation.
Canidae  distributed letters to retailers, breeders, updated packaging, and
provided  in-store signage, however it appears that this message did not
reach all of  our customers.

The new formulation, with increased levels of meat  protein, lowered
carbohydrates, and an increased overall complex carbohydrate  quality,
provides the most nutritious, all natural, palatable products.  Canidae never
uses soy, corn, wheat, by-products, grain fractions, or fillers  in our food.

If you believe your pet has experienced challenges related  to the new
formula we suggest feeding smaller portions multiple times a day.  Adding
warm water can decrease the chance of pets eating too quickly and  not
chewing thoroughly. It’s not unusual for pets to experience some  digestive
issues when transitioning, but if your problems persist, contact  your
veterinarian to rule out any underlying health concerns. For more  tips,
visit canidae.com/transitioningfromorig.html.

Due to increased  commodity costs, we’ve changed our packaging sizes,
reducing the overall  weight by approximately 3-5 pounds per bag. The new
sizes are more consistent  with other brands and allow for easier handling.

We are committed to  bringing quality products to pet owners and in June that
commitment led us to  Diamond’s manufacturing facility. Diamond facilities
have rigorous quality  control processes, utilizing a 141-point ingredient
test protocol. All  products are subject to a 10-point final product safety
review and Canidae  has also implemented hourly testing to confirm quality
and product safety in  our onsite laboratory. All Canidae products meet or
exceed AAFCO nutrient  profiles in USDA and FDA approved facilities.

At Canidae, we are  committed to providing you and your pets the highest
standard of excellence  for product quality, palatability, and customer
satisfaction. Please call  800-398-1600 or visit www.canidae.com to let us
know what we can do to serve  you better.

Canidae
Scott Whipple and John Gordon
Owners
PO Box  3610