[Dailydrool] Pearl Missing Harvey

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 11:43:07 PST 2009

Once again, I'm a couple days behind, but I wanted to pass on my condolences
to anyone who's lost a hound or other loved one recently, and lots of good
luck wishes and drool from Humphrey and Professor Bix for all the mending
hounds out there.

When we got Humphrey last January at 10 weeks, he became instant and fierce
best friends with Bruno, a Shar Pei mix puppy who lived in our building.
Bruno was only 2 months older than Humphrey and they played together every
day. Last summer, Bruno was hit and instantly killed by a cab when he got
scared in Central Park and tried to run home. He was only ten months old and
the shock was nearly as traumatic for Kit and myself as it was for Bruno's
owners. But we were all shocked by Humphrey's sadness; Humph mourned Bruno
daily for 2 months. Every day on his way upstairs from a walk, Humphrey
would run to Bruno's apartment and lay down with his nose against the door,
snuffling for his buddy's scent and crying softly. It was impossible to get
him to move away, and often Mana and Mohammad, Bruno's owners, would come
out and we'd sit together in the hall and they'd hold Humphrey in their laps
and cry for Bruno with him. It was the sweetest and most heart-breaking
thing for all of us. Once they let Humphrey into the apartment and he
sniffed all over for Bruno; when he couldn't find him, he laid down in
Bruno's crate and continued crying for his friend.

Eventually, Bruno's scent faded from the apartment, and Humphrey didn't need
to visit and mourn every day. Then Mana and Mo got Louie, a French
bulldog/Boston terrier puppy, and he and Humphrey quickly became new best
friends. Now Humphrey lies stubbornly outside Mana and Mohammad's door every
day not in mourning, but impatiently waiting for Louie to come out and play
with him. If he still remembers or misses Bruno, you wouldn't be able to
tell.

Dogs are capable of feeling a lot more than they're generally given credit
for; they're also capable of understanding a lot more, too. Given time,
Pearl will be able to move on from Harvey, although watching her mourn and
knowing how implacable her grief is in the moment can be so hard to watch.

-Rebecca, Humphrey & Professor Bix, who still perks up if you ask him
"Where's Sister?", his long-gone Aussie girlfriend