[Dailydrool] bassets behaving badly

B L bassetlover99 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:14:18 PST 2009

I'm a new subscriber, so allow me to introduce myself. (I'll try to
incorporate the lingo.) I'm a food-slave to two boys, Baxter (11 months) and
Boomer (8 months). Boomer was my first, a rescue from a bad living
situation. He's much happier and healthier since joining my family four
months ago. He told me he wanted a playmate, and wouldn't you know
it--Baxter needed a home, too. A family found him wandering in a
neighborhood, but they could not locate his owners, so they found me, and
he's been with us for 2 months. All's well, and the boys get along great.

Now to the problem at hand. Recently, Boomer has taken to ignoring his
food--hardly basset-like behavior. They eat in the kitchen from their own
stainless-steel bowls. Baxter eats like a champ, but Boomer lays there and
grunts. He will eat if I pour the food on the floor or on a paper plate, but
even then he only begins once Baxter is finished. Baxter becomes annoyed
with Boomer's slowness and often tries to sneak bites from his plate.

So 1) What caused this change? and 2) Is it permanent?

Drool all around!

Kate, Baxter and Boomer
Dallas