[Dailydrool] Housebreaking ... ?

Brooke Blew bblew42 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 10:03:12 PST 2009

I've been following today's posts about housebreaking. All great advice ... thanks! I'm gonna try the bells at the door, for sure.

My situation: 6 month old basset (Moses). He knows exactly what to do when taken outside on a potty break. No problem there. He hasn't pooped in the house in months. So, good there as well. But ... he can't seem to latch on to the idea of not peeing in the house. Sometimes he does it right in front of us. Right after he's been outside. And he'll do it anywere ... it's not just in one spot (though he has his favorites). Some days he'll not have an accident ... some days he'll have three or four.

Is this normal? We keep telling ourselves it will fade as he gets older. Is this true? We sometimes even rationalize it to ourselves ... that cleaning up after him is totally worth the joy he brings us (which is true!). But, it would be nice to not go through a role of paper towls every two days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brooke, mommy to Moses