[Dailydrool] potty training

Teddy and Izzy teddyandizzy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 10:43:28 PST 2009

Izzy is 7 months now and we still have an occasional problem but there are 2
things that I found are critical in the potty training:
(a) Praising enough when they go outside.  What I learned is that it's so
important to make a big deal about it when they do it right - lots and lots
of praise AND treats - good treats if necessary - something they really
really loves even if it has to be roast beef.  Believe me, they do get the
message.  Getting mad if they go inside (and it is frustrating so it's hard
not to) will not work at all.
(b) You have to make sure you have a good enzyme-based cleaner for the
places they go inside.  I bought a quart of a spray called NoMos
(recommended at my local pet supply store where they said I'd need about 20
gallons but I didn't :-)).  You have to, have to, HAVE TO get rid of any
odor with something like this cleaner because even if you can't smell it,
they can.  I was even spraying it on throw rugs that went in the washer.

The vet did also discover when I had Izzy spayed in January that she had a
UTI.  This explained some backsliding that had been occurring and I felt
terrible but we got her on antibiotics and it made a big difference right
away.  I saw no symptoms of this except a lot of dogs sniffing her at the
park which made me worry she was going to go into heat but the vet said it
was probably because of the UTI which causes an odor that other dogs pick up
on (as did my vet as he seems to be part dog).  Anyway, if a puppy is having
prolonged issues, you might want to get a urinalasis done just to be sure.

Well, that's out 2 cents worth for today.  Our weather is much nicer this
week so it's been great to get outside more.  Since it's just early
February, we don't expect it to last, but we'll take it!!

Drool and snooter kisses fwom us,
Teddy, Izzy & Beth