[Dailydrool] How to walk 4 bassets -- safely?

Amy Barnes forbassethounds at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 06:54:35 PST 2009

Can anyone give me any insight on how to walk 4 large basset hounds safely? I have 4 young male bassets (72lbs + 68lbs + 65lbs + 60lbs = 265lbs of OBNOXIOUS tugging and pulling). I weigh less than 1/2 their weight and it's all I can do stand up right. If we see a rabbit, dog, or another person, I'm propelled into the air and generally land face first. My neighbors all seem to enjoy this spectacle, and have all helped to capture my hounds and untangle me. It would make most sense if I could walk them in shifts, but I just don't have the energy to turn a 40 min walk into an 80 min walk. I am convinced there is some device short of a dog sled that would make this easier. I have tried gentle leaders, but they dig their face with their feet and refuse to move. Harnesses are out of the question, the speed that they can pick up wearing one of these is frightening. I've tried martingale and choker collars, but the hacking isn't enjoyable for anyone. Months ago I
 thought I saw a post about an amazing basset walking device, I've searched and can't seem to find it. Please if any one has any advice they can contact me offline.

Thank You!!
Amy Barnes
Ohio Basset Rescue
http://www.ohiobassetrescue.org
Mother to (Bailey, Tosca, Sedgewick, and Bernie) Foster to (Duke, Cletus, Stumpy, Buckeye, Laverne, Sam, & Mick)