[Dailydrool] Splintering nails..... Help?

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 17:17:27 PST 2009

I've been fighting with Kelvin from day one to trim his nails often
enough for them to not splay out his toes so bad. At first I thought the
ragged edges and soft nails were a result of malnourishment but it is
not resolving. He only has one nail that is hard and it's hard enough
that I can't trim it AT ALL, it's like a piece of iron. The rest... they
are still so soft and tend to splinter along the sides and underside.
I'm worried that I'm going to hurt the poor thing since, like a said,
it's a fight to trim his nails.
None of the other bassets here are like this, except for the nails of
iron, Curie could win the grand prize for hard nails.

Ideas?? What could be causing this??
And no dremel suggestions, he runs and hides when he sees the box, pees
himself when I turn it on... he's just too frightened of it for me to
even try.

Carmen