[Dailydrool] Patella luxation

Courtney Willard courtney_willard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 08:46:44 PST 2009

Hello all!

First off, we are sending tons of drool to all those who need it right now. I was so saddened to read of all the losses lately. My thoughts are with each and everyone one of you.

Do any of your droolers have any experience with patella luxation? Since we adopted Franny she has always been a little "loose" in the rear. I know that the bassets can have a bit of sway, but with Franny it was obvious that something was not right. Our Vet wasn't able to pick up on anything during an exam, but she rechecked Franny when she was knocked-out for her dental. She told us that she has lateral luxating patellas - the only time she's seen lateral and not medial. Since it doesn't seem to be an issue for Franny - she's not in pain, has no mobility issues - we felt that she's okay as is. Our Vet did say that if we were concerned or her condition worsened that she would refer us to an orthopedist. I'm wondering if it will get worse with age. Should we do something now to prevent larger issues later? Or have people had bassets with this who live a long and productive life with now further complications? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Courtney Bishop
Momslave to Gilbert, Maggie and the ever-swaying Franny