[Dailydrool] Ode to a shelter dog

Nadine Mysker nadine at mysker.com
Mon Feb 23 13:31:39 PST 2009

I found this on an Alabama rescue site.  Can't you handle just one more basset?

The sound of a key in the lock, footsteps, a ray of sunshine breaking
in… the first shelter worker had just arrived for the day.  I heard
some dogs start to bark and whine… I added a big ol' howl (what I do
best) to the mix.  It was a new day!

Let's see… what day was this?  Day twelve, that I'd been at this
shelter?  I was so glad when they brought me in!  My feet were sore
and bleeding, and I was so hungry!  The people who loved me I thought
would keep me forever.  But one day they took me out to a country road
and left me.  I know it must have been a mistake!  I ran and ran and
tried to find them.  I barked and barked and howled!  But they were
gone.  I don't know how it happened!

So I walked and walked and walked…I was so hungry I tried to eat
plants and dirt.  And then a kind soul came by.  I felt arms around me
and they put me into a car and brought me to this place.  I got food
and water!  Other dogs are here!  I have a roof over my head and it is
warm!

… but something still is not right.  Each day people come by here and
talk about "which day" it is.  They keep hoping to hear from my people
(and I do too!) .. but so far, no word.  They say how much they like
me here and wish I could find a home.  Then the part that bothers me
is, they say there's just so much time I can stay here.  I don't know
what happens when my time runs out but I think it must not be good.
Nice people come by and look at me… I think they're looking for a dog
to take home!  I smile and try to lick the slobber from my mouth.  But
they usually pick little dogs… not big basset hounds like me.

Yesterday they said they called a rescue person.  I'm not sure what
that means, but I think that person is coming today!  Is it day
twelve?  I think it is.  And I think twelve days is all I can stay
here.  Maybe that means I go "home" today!

… here comes someone now.  I hear the word "rescue".  Is this the
person who can save me?  Is this the person who can find my family?  I
know they want me to come home!!!!

A kind person who was called "rescue" is at my cage.  She stoops down,
and a soft hand strokes me.  She says "what a beautiful basset hound!
Yes… he's a purebred basset."  Wow!  I must be something special!  I
know my family wants me back!  The rescue person stays at my cage and
keeps petting me.  (I want to just melt!  I am in love!)  She takes
out a cell phone and makes a call.  "Yes… this is a purebred basset.
He's beautiful!"  I smile and try to look my best.  I lick her hand.
She is listening to someone talking on her phone.

She gets up and turns to the shelter worker.  Lucky me!  I'm going
"home"!!!!! … I just know it.  She will be able to find my people who
lost me and I am going to be okay! … what's that?  Tears running down
her face?  Don't cry!  I am a good boy!  I will go home with you!  … I
try to reach her hand to lick it.

"I am so sorry… we just don't have foster space.  He is a beautiful
dog and I want to take him so badly, but we just don't have a foster
home."  Her voice is breaking up and she is running out the door
sobbing.

What is happening?  I don't understand!  I'm something called a
purebred basset hound!  I am a good boy!  I just lost my people!
Please… help me!

A nice shelter worker has come to my cage and is petting me.  She has
put a leash around my neck and tells me to come with her. Maybe this
means I have another chance.  We have come to a big cold door.  She
stoops down and hugs me and kisses me.  "I'm so sorry, big boy.  I'm
so sorry.  Please forgive me." … and she opens the door.

--story written by Eunice Cleeland
BHRA Founding Member and Trustee
January, 2007

Sigh   Nadine Mysker slave to Jill the bagel