[Dailydrool] Thoughs on Food

Monique Tecson moenizzle at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 10:40:43 PST 2009

Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd chime in since I recently made a change in my dogs' diets. I know most people on this list have most likely heard of or read FOOD PETS DIE FOR by Ann Martin. After reading this book, I've decided to cook for the dogs. I got a basset-friendly recipe from Dawn of Daphneyland (and I can share with your permission, Dawn?) I did the math, and it will cost me about $5-10 more a week in food cost, but to me it's well worth it. I started this week and so far so good!

My key learnings were-1.) the pet food industry is a multi-billion dollar industry- big companies buy into this industry and treat it as another line on their balance sheet, trading it amongst themselves- translation: not much is to be said for quality control or regulation. 2.) i learned what pet food ingredient labels really means!

Anyway, I'm sure that there a lot of wholesome pet food brands out there.. but who's to really know what is going on in their manufacturing plants? What ingredients they are using is one issue, WHERE they are getting it is also another. Unless you devote countless hours in research (which I'm sure most of us don't have the time or the energy to engage in), you only rely heavily on the attractive packaging and ingredients list (i mean meat meal / fiber can really be ANYTHING!). That's not something I'm willing to take a risk on.

Monique and Mona & Potato (we eats chicky, rice an green beenies! and cawwots fer desert)