[Dailydrool] Maggie update

Leah McConnell lmcconnell at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 25 15:10:27 PST 2009

First of all I want everyone to know Maggie is slinging drool for all the
hounds that are sick and the families whose hounds went to the bridge
lately - there have been so many.

Maggie went into the vet for her weigh in. She is up to 41 lbs and is much
more active than she has been in a long time. I had to go off island
yesterday and left her home - I didn't know how long I'd be gone and didn't
want to have to leave her in the cars for hours unattended. Her Auntie Karen
came over and took her on two walks. When I arrived home she was dancing and
barking so we went for her regular walk. She was trying to run across the
parking lot and for the first half of her walk and trotted back on the
return home. She was dancing around for a half hour after we got back. I
called Karen to see what she fed her. She loves the new food and is eating
only it now. She goes in next Friday for her anal glands and I check her
weight then. She is back to jumping up on the couch instead of using her
ramp. If my legs are in the way she tries to push my foot away to make room.
I fell her nose on my feet and move my legs. She jumps up and then sits on
my feet. She is getting 4 c of food a day and is having no problems at all.
Once she has the weigh back I'll cut her back so she is maintaining. We met
Lily another island Basset as we were leaving the vet's. Didn't get a chance
to tell them about the Drool - it was raining and we were talking about our
houndettes. Maggie's funny thing is to dump out the recycling to look for
food morsels. She will also dump the trash can if I leave it out. She will
also bark at me like she wants out and then she heads for the kitchen. I
yell no treats and she stops in mid -run and saunters back with this look on
her face. The doctor I saw yesterday told me he has a malamute Basset
cross - has the long body, longer legs a curled tail, Malamute face and the
ears and voice of a Basset as well as the personality. I did tell him about
the Drool.

I bought Maggie new treats because hers were on the recall list. She went
with me. She sniffed the grocery sack they were in when I put them on the
front seat with me. She was in the back. When we got home she refused to get
out of the car. She looked at me, looked in the direction of the treats.
This went on for almost 5 minutes. I got her out of the car and she turned
around to jump back in. I closed the car door and she barked all the way to
the other side of the car and into the apartment - something she never does.
These are the treats her Auntie Karen gives her so she must really like
them. She kept trying to put her nose into the sack the entire way back
inside. Later I heard her barking at the back of the apartment. I went back
to investigate and she looked at me from the bedroom door. I looked around
for morsels of food she couldn't get at but found nothing. I told her she
was being silly and went back into the living room. A little later I hear a
more muffled barking. She had her head in the walk in closet barking at the
food at the other end. There are stacked storage bins in the middle so she
can't get to the food. Life is never dull since she came home with me.

Leah momslave to Maggie the Evil Empress of the San Juan Islands OEBE and
Rusty ATB