[Dailydrool] Feeding the Hound

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:49:29 PST 2009

I know this is an OLD topic that's sort of been beaten to death ~ but; on the subject of food:

I too, cook for our Rosie - especially now that we are serious about losing weight.  Rosie is on NO Grains - our Holistic Vet reminded me that in the Wild, dogs just don't eat grains - it's not part of their "natural" diet.

Rosie loves homecooking and in my mind, it's healthier since I know EXACTLY what's in it.  Plus, In concur with others in that it is cheaper than buying pet food.   Per the Vet, we load her up on veggies but since they are cooked in homemade chicken broth and mixed with the chicken, she gobbles it up, an believe me, her bowl is super clean when she's done!

I still do keep "Wellness" weight management kibble in the house and often use it as "croutons" in her food and if I just don't have time to cook for her, she gets "Wellness" kibble with a couple of Tablespoons of "Wellness" canned.  But, right now she's mostly on home cooking and Guess What, no more red armpits.  Now this truly makes me wonder what truly causes that situation to occur.

Oh yes, I also cook up the Drool's "Oatmeal/Peanut butter biscuits" for her. (If you're not carful, you can mess up the homecooking thing by using store bought biscuits/treats that contain all the no-no's you are trying to avoid).  Only difference is that instead of the Whole Wheat Flour, I know finely grind up some oatmeal into a flour consistancy and use that in place of flour so they truly are Oatmeal/Peanut Butter.  She and those neighborhood dogs that we share them with LOVE them.

Peace and healing drool to all those in need.

Carol & "slimmer" Rosie in Florida