[Dailydrool] Feeding my dogs

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:15:09 PST 2009

A friend of mine (and veterinarian) once told me; If you took your baby to a
pediatrician & he/she handed you a bag of oatmeal & said "This is a complete
& balanced food. Feed only this for your kid's entire life.  Don't ever feed
them anything else & you can only buy it from me"  would you go back?
In Vet Tech school we were taught about labeling in the pet food industry.
So I have a good idea what's in a lot of pet food.  In my opinion anything
so processed as dry kibble can't have much left in the way of nutrients,
(This is only my opinion, we all have one so please don't yell at me) but
since Spencer seems to need a small amount of it to keep diarrhea at bay we
use small amounts.  I don't buy much processed foods for me, so not for the
"kids" either.
As I wouldn't want to eat the same thing day in & day out, I feed a variety
of foods.  Dogs are omnivores, so fruits, vegies & herbs are added.  I bake
chicken, beef roasts, turkey, pork... whatever is a good price at the
butcher & we all eat it.  If the dogs are eating it too then no added salt,
easy on the garlic, not too spicy.  I don't worry about complete & balanced
nutrition everyday, for me or the dogs.  Variety helps in that department.
My beloved Sebastian had so many allergies, there was only one food he could
eat... & he didn't like it.  I made all the food, including treats.
So, I too feed a primarily homemade diet.  I also give a very limited amount
of dry kibble mixed in.  I feed a variety of canned, dry, dehydrated &
homemade foods.  When the garden is going strong we add whatever happens to
be ready!  My dogs get supplements & herbs depending on
health/age/medications.  I have doggie cookbooks for when I get into a rut.
Speaking of feeding dogs, it's after 5pm & the vultures are circling in the
kitchen... time to go.  Yup... food slave, that's me!
Me?  Oh, I get tv dinners. <shrug>  :)
Vikki, Spencer, Sara Sue (foster), Hal (foster), Sebastian atb, Natasha atb