[Dailydrool] Fetching balls, etc.

joffk at cs.com joffk at cs.com
Fri Feb 27 13:24:18 PST 2009

Not all dogs have an innate sense to know how to play with toys.
Especially the hounds. I compete in agility with two of my bassets, and
am starting one of my bloodhounds, and I have to go out of my way to teach
them to play with toys.  For some reason, they just don't show much interest.
It is important to teach them how to play with toys so the toys can be
used for training.  Anyhow, I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't
find it unusual that a fair amount of bassets don't play fetch.  Why
should they?  If they haven't been taught, it is just effort they are
wasting that could better be used for counter-cruising, getting in
the garbage or eating remotes and cell phones!
Joff w/ Madelynne Maybelle, Daisy Mae-hem and Sherlock Holmes
(the bassets) and Monroe and Sabrina (the bloodhounds).