[Dailydrool] Fetching Balls, etc.

Barbara Slater sahara.west at att.net
Sat Feb 28 06:47:18 PST 2009

My baby man loves to run with the big boys at the park.  It
doesn't matter if they are all running together or if just one is
running after a ball or Frisbee that the owner threw.  I especially
love watching non-basset people who think he is after the ball.
They try so hard to get him to "fetch" it.  Frazier just runs slick as
lightening and when the ball stops so does he.  Like others who
have told similar tales, he looks at the ball and then at the person
who threw it and then at me . . . like to say, "What's he want me
to do, Mommy?".  At home he will do short chases in the house,
but only when he really just wants to chew the heck out of
whichever toy he's playing with.

Frances (Darling ATB) however had a unique way of playing with
balls.  She was a singular player.  She first would patrol the park,
checking all the corners for escape routes, check in with me a
few times and lounge around under the shade trees.  Just when
no one was looking, she'd find a tennis ball laying around, saunter
over to it, pick it up and toss it in the air.  She would play catch
with herself for anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of
minutes.  Of course when she started, everyone would notice
and think how sad she had to play with herself.  Then some
unsuspecting non-basset owner would be brave enough to
attempt to play with her.  They'd do the regular "What a sweetie,
playing all by yourself" statement (which of course she sucked
up and wiggled alot).  Then they would grab the ball & toss it for
her.  She would sit down at their feet and just watch the ball go.
Knowing my little angel, it was so sad to watch how hard they
tired to get her to go after the ball.  But Princess was not to be
moved.  I would then have to go over and save them from
themselves, explain her play philosophy and graciously release
them from the responsibility of having to play with her.  They
would wander off with a wave and a relieved look on their faces.

Healing, soothing drool to all.

Barb, Frances (Angel Dumpling ATB) & Frazier (Put the eggs
back in the platypus & throw her down the hall)
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/143457